School of Economic Science
Plato Quotes, in particular on Fasting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    School of Economic Science - Study Forums Forum Index -> Plato Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivano Smith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Plato Quotes, in particular on Fasting Reply with quote

Around the web I found a lot of quotes, Plato never said

This is misleading, giving an image of Plato like a romantic guru. Is ok because people could be more interested in Plato, although I doubt Plato is for the masses.

I would like to know if is true he was proposing to fast as a way to improve his judgement.

ps. Hallo Everyone my first post
Peter Blumsom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ivano,
I welcome you to the forum on behalf of its contributors and many readers. Most Plato admirers and it sounds like you are one, have a copy of Republic to hand. If not, the Penguin edition trans. Desmond Lee is very accessible and not a bit pedantic or pompous and I recommend it.
I reckon the best way to answer this question is to direct your study to Book 4 of that dialogue and read carefully from, say, 236 to the end of the book (449a). This won't answer your question exactly (I don't think Plato mentions fasting, but I might be wrong) however it will give you a very informed back ground to his notions about soul - which after all this will be behind any method or discipline undertaken in order for a person what virtue is.
The problem with fasting is like any discipline; it is only effective if applied with moderation. Going beyond a reasonable measure it becomes detrimental to both body and its connection with soul. There's a lot of fanaticism around today, I expect you've noticed. Self enhancement slips into self punishment with hardly causing a ripple.
The Buddha found that out - he got so weak that he fell into a lake! Of course I speak without knowing what prompted the question but this school (of Economic Science) generally recommends this: eat what you like, taste what you eat.

Nice to hear from you, and please feel free continue our discourse if you should so wish.

Regards Pete
Ivano Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Blumsom wrote:
Dear Ivano,
I welcome you to the forum on behalf of its contributors and many readers.

Thank you Peter, glad to see a forum over this philosopher

Peter Blumsom wrote:

Most Plato admirers and it sounds like you are one, have a copy of Republic to hand. If not, the Penguin edition trans. Desmond Lee is very accessible and not a bit pedantic or pompous and I recommend it.

Yes I am an admirer of Plato, yes I have indeed some edition of the Republic, I remember the Perseus project with the numerations available online, even with the Greek translation http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3atext%3a1999.01.0168. I went trough the Penguin edition, and found it really nice, although I am used to the Italians BUR editions that have the most extensive foot page commentaries I have never seen, although for the commentaries (even copiously present) no urge to find them in the dialogues per se, as we are spoilt from choice at this regard

Peter Blumsom wrote:

I reckon the best way to answer this question is to direct your study to Book 4 of that dialogue and read carefully from, say, 236 to the end of the book (449a). This won't answer your question exactly (I don't think Plato mentions fasting, but I might be wrong) however it will give you a very informed back ground to his notions about soul - which after all this will be behind any method or discipline undertaken in order for a person what virtue is.

I see, thank you for the interest to dedicate your time on this reply. Even the interpretation of the book fourth although explicitly refers to the soul, and his relationship with the callipolis, can be intended in really contradictory ways in my really insufficient opinion as amateur.

Peter Blumsom wrote:

The problem with fasting is like any discipline; it is only effective if applied with moderation. Going beyond a reasonable measure it becomes detrimental to both body and its connection with soul. There's a lot of fanaticism around today, I expect you've noticed. Self enhancement slips into self punishment with hardly causing a ripple.
The Buddha found that out - he got so weak that he fell into a lake! Of course I speak without knowing what prompted the question but this school (of Economic Science) generally recommends this: eat what you like, taste what you eat.

Nice to hear from you, and please feel free continue our discourse if you should so wish.

Glad to know the opinion of the Economic Science school on that topic, and generally agree with such view regarding fasting.

Thank you again, and possibly speak with you again on this amiable forum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    School of Economic Science - Study Forums Forum Index -> Plato Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: