School of Economic Science
Berkeley and Searle in Great Harmony

Post new topic   Reply to topic    School of Economic Science - Study Forums Forum Index -> Plato Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redundant fallibility

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Berkeley and Searle in Great Harmony Reply with quote

Apparently it is even more and more impossible to examine the past centuries. For the reason that our concerns have changed, and so with them the way we take up everyday maters, and weigh them. Therefore, I make some attempt to look into the hidden dimensions of the artifacts which testify to to existence of that past.

A problematic argument pertaining to the general situation (for a start):

George Berkeley assures us that he is, by no means, to be confused with a skeptic. He accepts that the current limit of our knowledge really is what we now know of the objects taken up by our senses. A computer is my current knowledge of what a computer is, assured by the senses. He denies that the intellect has any special power to go beyond this, and posit an access to a stable 'philosophic material' or hypostasis.

I put it that Berkeley's position is exactly the same as that of so-called 'naive realists' a position unknown in former times for the simple reason that it was absolutely taken for granted. Those with only a precursory view of the matter, will be surprised by the fact that idealists are the very same as empiricists. Although I'm sure to be told that every schoolboy is well informed about that already!

For those who have studied Berkeley, consider that his goal was simply to deny that beings are made of a homogeneous constructor set of small things in order to assure the real peculiarity of individual kinds. Thus, with Newton, he posits mathematical knowledge as most-perfect description, not underlying reality.

I would say Berkeley is every bit as hardheaded as Searle, he simply rejected that 'fantastical view' that "philosophers call ‘material substance’."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    School of Economic Science - Study Forums Forum Index -> Plato Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: