School of Economic Science
A Small Reflection on the Tempore of Modern Philosophy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    School of Economic Science - Study Forums Forum Index -> Plato Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Blumsom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bryan. Why should people try to hide behind an alias? It betokens small-mindedness - a symptom of our times.
Pete
Bryan Carr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

I actually don't regard an alias per se as problematic in most cases; a "handle" of some sort is common coin online. But appropriating a living person's name for the purposes of publicizing one's own work is another matter. That isn't an alias, it's non-consensual "endorsement," and poor karma.
Tim Addey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: First there is a name - according the seventh letter. Reply with quote

Can I just add my thoughts on posting anonymously or pseudonymously: As a general rule I think that if someone wishes to say or write something in the storm of words which the internet and other bits of new technology have let out of bag of winds, it should be done under their own name. Of course there are exceptions, under particular circumstances.

One of the reasons why Plato was concerned about cities becoming too big was that it created living spaces in which people didn't know each other. The internet has moved our various interactions towards a global scale, which certainly has some advantages;but it also has its disadvantages - and these latter are intensified with the use of pseudonyms, whereby the same person can "appear" in different guises, often saying different things. Socrates himself was critical of those who could not keep to a sameness of thought and opinion, for good reason.

Knowledge, and the expression of knowledge, should be seen, I think, as bound to the being of the thinker, not as some extrinsic accident. Fortitude is one of the great Platonic virtues, and it would be helpful if those discussing philosophical matters had the courage to identify themselves with their affirmations and negations.
Bryan Carr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Good point, and germane to the argument I was making earlier ("philosophy will be personal, or not be at all") which roused so much opposition. To appeal to Plato is however tricky here, because, well, Plato precisely does not write in his own name, and indeed uses the names of others. What he does is different from the piece of performance-art that occurred here in substantive ways, not least because Socrates was dead; and also because it was, after all, known who wrote the dialogues. And in fact, as I think you imply by referring in your subject line to the 7th Letter, Plato has harsh words to say about those who are spreading documents that purport to represent "his" view, precisely because his view is that it cannot be put into words. So none of this is to argue directly against what you say; but it complicates it. Sometimes a vision needs more than one voice to be articulated at all.
Tim Addey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan - I did think about the case of Plato when I wrote, but my view is that he was presenting a set of extremely subtle points, and at the same time trying to avoid merely promulgating a set of opinions: he was trying to arouse the reasoning faculty in his readers. And above all else, he attached his name to the dialogues which he wrote.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is known that the contributor who called themselves Avital Ronell is not actually that person, that name has been removed from the member list. We do ask out of a matter of courtesy that people use their own names and require that they do not impersonate others.
Site admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    School of Economic Science - Study Forums Forum Index -> Plato Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: