School of Economic Science
What was he doing standing in the doorway?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    School of Economic Science - Study Forums Forum Index -> Plato Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Blumsom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, Perhaps it's me who us dim. I missed this, due to the misleading way this Forum headlines its posts. I'll address your query and perhaps we will stand back and judge if I'm a half-wit - which is probably the case, as I doubt whether you are.
Pete
Michael Reid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: What was he doing standing in the doorway Reply with quote

Thank you Peter.

As an aside; it would be lovely if there was a setting available so that I'd get a notification when anyone posted on this forum.

Michael

Peter Blumsom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I’ve looked back through this topic – it’s quite a good read, by the way. I think you would have to show me where the word ‘forbid’ occurs in the texts. You know how Socrates often adopts an ironic approach to these kind of things, possibly because if he were to seem over earnest he would lose his audience in the hard-bitten agora. I don’t know which example you are particularly ciring here. Possibly that occasion in Euthydemus where he was about to leave the undressing room “when my wonted spiritual sign - to eiwthos semeion to daimonion - came to me”. There is in this case no mention that he was forbidden to go, but simply fell in line with the presentiment “So I sat down again.”

And there is the famous passage from Apology:

something divine and spiritual comes to me, the very thing which Meletus ridiculed in his indictment. I have had this from my childhood; it is a sort of voice that comes to me, and when it comes it always holds me back from what I am thinking of doing, but never urges me forward.

I think the key word here is apotrepo which means ‘to turn away’ or ‘turn a deaf ear to’.

In neither case is there a feeling of compulsion, but it does beg the question, that if what you are about to do is shown by some daimon to be the wrong course then why would you continue in that direction? However, all that being said, I have had an experience that does put a greater ‘turning moment’, shall we say, on this subject, which I will relate to you ‘orally’ when we next meet.

PS. On that other matter, have you ticked the box below 'notify me when a reply is posted'? If that gives no joy we'll have to contact site admin and see what they can do.
Michael Reid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter.

"Forbid" was my term but it expresses the situation that would prevail if one always obeys one's daimon. There is certainly the strong impression that Socrates would always refrain from such an action both in the Apology and elsewhere.

The idea of living one's life entirely by that principle has interesting consequences. The first is of complete freedom. An odd statement to make you may think but assuming that the daimon were an aspect of the Self, then it is merely self restraint. Therefore one can say that one can do whatever takes one's fancy and simply live from moment to moment on that basis. A different way of living from the "normal".

What do you think?

PS. The "tick recieve notification when a reply is posted" only refers to a post that one is a participant in. What I'm after is a "tick to receive notification when anybody posts anything anywhere in the forum" box.

Michael

Peter Blumsom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
I think forbid if meant would change the whole nature of Socrates philosophy. Surely the essence of the wise man is that he freely complies with his highest nature. The Greeks held freedom in extremely high regard. If there is beauty in conduct it is to freely comply with sophia and thereby agathon. It's like the bodhisattva's vow of not taking up nirvana until the last soul is saved. He can if he wants but just doesn't. Self does not compel but there is no law to say it should not be the highest aim for a man to always follow his own self. Let me know when you have reached that stage and I'll do the same: perhaps we will be able to compare notes. (I doubt whether either of us need hold our breath on that account!)

On that other matter, I don't think what you want is possible under this antiquated software. I know John Boonham is looking into an update.
Regards,
Pete
Michael Reid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are in agreement.

Looking forward to hearing your verbal example next Monday.

Do give Mr Boonham all the encouragement that you can on the update. Antiquated is an understatement. Such an option would liven up discussion and the whole forum.

I have found a "notify of new topics" option which sits in the bottom left of the topic headings page that is a bit better but not the whole hog.

Warm regards,

Michael

Post new topic   Reply to topic    School of Economic Science - Study Forums Forum Index -> Plato Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: